Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs

 
 
In an effort to tie in our weekly Alphabet Series, my oldest, Landon and I are including cooking and using foods that correlate with the weeks letter. Since we are on the letter B  and I needed Bread crumbs for some Ranch Chicken Thighs I was making for dinner. These are super easy and delicious - you will never need to buy bread crumbs again!
 
 
This is the bread we buy from Costco, about $5.50 for two loaves! I used a half a loaf for the recipe. You can use stale bread or fresh, like I did and just toasted it and let it sit for a while so it could really dry out.
 
 
In addition to bread, you will need salt, pepper and about a half stick of butter. Sometimes I like to add some ranch or italian seasoning as well.
 

While the bread is toasting, melt the butter in a large sauce pan on low heat.
 


 Put your bread in a food processor. I threw mine in the Vitamix, worked great! Don't blend to much, you want to leave some texture. Pour your ground up bread into the butter, add seasoning and cook on medium heat until everything is coated and the pieces get nice and toasty. Let it cool thouroughly and pour into a container or heavy duty Ziploc bag. Store at room temp for up to 6 months!

 
Easy peasy & delicious!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment