Homemade Braised Italian Sausage Stew
One of our staples during all these rainy, cold spring days is a homemade braised italian sausage stew. My husband and I love this soup and I usually make enough to bring some over for my parents to enjoy as well. This was the first recipe I ever made using some white wine - very exciting!
- 1 package sausage
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into slices
- 3 cups Swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 can (28oz) plum tomatoes, in sauce (I used crushed tomatoes)
- 14.5oz stock (chicken or vegetable works well!)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the Olive Oil over low/medium heat in a dutch oven.
- Add onion, cook 3 minutes, until slightly soft.
- Add sausage to pan, cook 12 to 14 minutes or until sausage is browned and almost cooked through.
- Stir in carrots and swiss chard. Add the barley, tomatoes, stock, wine, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for up to 1 hour or until the barley is cooked.
- Serve with crusty Italian bread.